In 2014 the Shire of Harvey in WA was successful in applying for a Keep Australia Beautiful litter prevention grant to install fishing line recycling bins and education signage at local fishing hotspots. The Shire of Harvey has a 45km coastline, the Leschenault estuary and three major rivers, where fishing line can be and has been a serious environmental issue.
Tackle Bins and Education signage now displayed at 6 locations within the Shire with more than 600m of line in the first month after installation!
- Eastwell Boat Ramp, Australind (Collie River)
- Collie River Bridge (Australind)
- Ridley Place, Old Coast Road – please note the Shire has been up-grading the boat ramp at this location. The ramp re-opens this week and it is expected that usage of this Tackle Bin will increase.
- Crimp Crescent, Cathedral Avenue
- Binningup Beach, and
- Myalup Beach
The Shire has received some great feedback on the installation of the Tackle Bins and moreover has had requests for further bins along the watercourses throughout the Shire.
- Eastwell Boat Ramp x 6 times
- Collie River Bridge x 6
- Ridley Place x 4
- Crimp Crescent x 4
- Binningup x 3
- Myalup Beach x 3
This has been a small but important project and the results have been very good. The Shire will continue to monitor these bins on a regular basis.